Wednesday, October 19, 2005


I am trying so hard not to be grossed out as I type this. Whafts of rotting marine mammal flesh and bone are circulating in my house although I have been on incense and whindow and fan patrol. Remember how I had found those seal vertebrae on the beach? Well, today I found a jaw bone (see the teeth there on the left) and some big flipper/wing-like bone. It seams the mega-corpse had been cleaned up or something but what remained there appeared to be the skin of a seal pup.
Although I love forensic investigations on television, gathering the bones in a plastic bag really gave me the heebie-jeebies. So I put them in a giant pot of boiling water (detailed view is shown here) and now have just added some bleach to the water to help with the awful smell. I cannot help but think that I need to go out into the chilly dark night and dig a hole right now in my garden to pour the bones into and bury for a month or two to ensure all the rotten crap is gone. Yeuch. I have a high tolerance for disgusting oogie shit but this is seriously testing my threshold. The larger bone I found leads me to believe it is not from a seal at all. I think the teeth on the jaw bone will help me to identify this marine mammal. I need some biologist buddies!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! You're a lot braver than me. Forensics intrigue me, but I get grossed out too easily. lol

10:44 PM  
Blogger E.M. said...

Meghan, you MUST post the picture of yourself all rigged up in your self-made toxic protection gear.
I can smell that rotting flesh from Fredericton. Gag!
Glad to know it's now buried in your back ground. You've got to know that something is wrong when even Abbey's carnivorous appetite was not stimulated by dem bones. dem bones...

2:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good design!
[url=http://cylstbuw.com/yhdw/bbsg.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://utydnfhd.com/uszz/hjuw.html]Cool site[/url]

10:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you!
My homepage | Please visit

10:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice site!
http://cylstbuw.com/yhdw/bbsg.html | http://hrcpfhuf.com/hqmd/nfgq.html

10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home