Sunday, July 17, 2005

Nam japna

i printed up an essay i wrote about common law approaches (as opposed to legislative approaches)to environmental bullshit because one of the places i applied to required a writing sample. so my mother is reading it and says "hey! that's my dad's company!" turns out one of the cases that pisses me of most was the result of one of my grandfather's chemical company's detergent plants spilling toxic shit into a bay in new foundland. local fisherman sued his company for public nuisance, claiming the economic losses which resulted from the chemical spill (and killed their fish which they relied upon.) the judge tossed it out cause it was decided the losses were not unique enough to pass the public nuisance test (this gets into the stupid distinction between difference in degree and difference in kind) the good news is, by the time the newfoundland supreme court decided the case, 1971, my grandfather was long dead. so i cannot be too angry.

some more irony about who and i am the people i came from - my other grandfather - my grampa george who i just saw tonight - spent his life packing meat at a slaughterhouse. my dad put himself through teacher's college at Canada Packer's as well.

I am a strict vegetarian - almost vegan, even. and i want to fight corporations like the Electric Reduction Co. of Canada, Ltd (from the lawsuit). you know what this means? for all my efforts i plan to make to raise socially-aware and ethical children, my own grandchildren may operate torture chmabers for dogs or something that pollute toxic turds into pristine wilderness. almost makes you want to smoke a joint and say fuck it all.

by the way, the title to this entry is the sikh word for god - i have been researching sikhism tonight. i thought it was a subsidiary (heheh) of hinduism but was wrong. it is some interesting shit. i want to check out punjab!!

3 Comments:

Blogger E.M. said...

Meghan, I don't think that your offspring, or even their children are going to be cruel to animals. One thing that our father and grandfather never did was praise the industry they worked in; you however will likely talk about your ethical choices to your kids. And if you don't, I will.

2:26 PM  
Blogger Combine Harvester said...

Zestfully clean, for Africa.

10:52 PM  
Blogger L said...

wow. how random and small worldish. smoking joints....it's all i seem to be doing lately...
xxoo

10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home