Friday, April 22, 2005

Descartes: Meditations on First Philosophy

Descartes: Meditations on First Philosophy This site is a great little summary of Descartes' thoughts which allowed him to famously state cogito ergo sum! (I think, therefore I am!)

Now, rationally, I appreciate this endeavour as it is logically eloquent and speaks to the deep core of human's curious nature. Descartes conclusions, however, worked in tandem with the scientific revolution to construct the rigid boundary between man and nature.

Now, I do think some of the logic here is flawed - especially how he derives the existance of God from his concept of perfection. I butchered this move a few years back in my undergrad era (oh how I wish I could regurgitate my reasons here!)

The "Cartesian" dualisms (that is, derived from Descartes) which we inherited from this historic work suck my ass. Each and every day I personally challenge the bullshit propagated from these constructs (that animals and nature are distinct from humans, that the human rational "mind" is inherited from "god" and therefore makes us superior to other species, that non-human entities are mechanistic, that emotions are subordinate to reason, etc.).

Anyhow, if you want to know what I am about, you should scan over this page. Whoever wrote it up did a great little summary. The Meditations themselves are quite readable so if you get really interested, go to the library and do some first-hand reading.

Hopefully, you will relate to how I feel and join me in my anti-Descartes crusade!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home